Monday, August 23, 2010

Happy Birthday, Gentle Ben

Today would have been my precious husband's birthday. If you've read the "About Us" page on this blog, you know Donna and I started our blog to honor my husband and her Dad. As I have stated before he was always my biggest fan regarding anything I did. Whether it was sewing, crocheting, knitting, painting or card making, he was always right there with words of praise.
This is a picture of us on a cruise in May, 2008.
After we took this cruise he contracted a rare, aggressive form of cancer called Cholangiocarcinoma. In laymen's terms, Bile Duct Cancer. He underwent major surgery, had chemo and radiation, chemo again. After an 18 month battle, we lost him in March of 2010, one month to the date after our 50th wedding anniversary. We married when we were just children ourselves. I was 16 and he was 19. Looking back, we hardly knew what love was but our love grew to one of great proportions. We were inseparable. He told me every day he loved me and that I was beautiful. He was such a gentle man that everyone he came in contact with would eventually call him, Gentle Ben.

I miss him so much. I really don't know how you're supposed to go on with such a void in your life. There is a song by Mercy Me that explains exactly how I feel. It's called, "Homesick." The video is below. I hope you will forgive us for digressing from the usual format of our blog, but we're hurting today. I love you all. God Bless. Peggy

Hi Everyone - today would have been my daddy's 70th birthday! I sure hope he's having a HUGE party in Heaven!! As Mom said, Daddy was our biggest fan - always encouraging us to start this blog and now I know that he's smiling down on us since we finally did. His death has left a HUGE hole in all our hearts and lives. There are days when something happens and I'll think, "oh I need to call Daddy and tell him that!" Then I remember that I can't do that anymore. But I know that he's watching over us, making sure we're okay. I am thankful that God gave me such wonderful parents and that I know that I'll see my Daddy someday again in Heaven. I miss him terribly!! Happy Birthday, Daddy!!! Love and miss you bunches!! Until another day, God bless you!! Donna



7 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy and Donna,
    I am new to your blog and enjoy the inspiration you share. I will pray for you both that God's peace will envelope you today as you experience this day without your husband/father. Obviously, you both rely on God for your support and He is the only One who will see you through each day. Thank you for sharing this moment.

    Mary R.
    Chattanooga, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy and Donna,
    I am sorry for your lose. My Mom and I are also BFF's and craft buddies. We lost my Dad Aug 2009 very suddenly to a stroke.
    I will keep you in my prayers during this challenging time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful love story of Mom, Dad & Daughter. You ladies are blessed to have each other. My prayers will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you both Peggy and Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your both in my thought and prayers I hope God gives you the strength to deal with the loss of your husband and dad. My dad is going thru cancer treatments and I can't imagine losing him. I hope it will get easier to remember all the good times and not hurt so much. Shari (cricutrookie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss ladies.

    My brother also had a short battle with a rare aggressive cancer. He didn't ignore symptoms and only knew of the cancer less than 3 weeks before he passed. He was 45. It's hard but always remember the good times - that is what gets you through it.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peggy and Donna, I was very touched by your beautiful story. I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm sure we will get to see our beloved ones in heaven. I'm hoping for that.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and visits. I hope you will come back soon.

Peggy T.

Cricut Top 40