Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Jacob's Noun Town Project

Hello Everyone - I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving Holiday. Mine was quiet and the only thing that could have made it better is if my mom had been with us. We missed her company but she's coming to our house soon to stay for a while (if I have my way) and will be here for Christmas. YEAAAAAA!!

Well, I spent a good portion of my Thanksgiving holiday helping my son with a project for his 4th grade class. Every student in the class was given a building to make and when all the projects were completed and turned in, it would create a "NOUN TOWN!" Jacob's building to make was a Bank.



Jacob became very familiar with my cricut while doing this project. Here's how we made it:

We took a piece of foam board (18" x 18" per the instructions) and covered part of it with green foam for grass and the other part for the road and drive thru area. Then we started on the building which was really a shoe box to begin with. My husband built the roof out of foam board and I cut strips of black foam which Jacob used to layer onto the roof to make it look like shingles.

Jacob used the French Manor cartridge to cut out the windows, door. chairs, rug, Grandfather clock and table for the inside of the bank. He also cut out 3 chandeliers from the cartridge which we glued together for 3D effect and hung from the ceiling of the bank. He really didn't want to use this cartridge at first because he said it looked to girly. I told him that if he wanted these things in his bank, then he had to use this cartridge so he did. We pasted patterned cardstock on the walls for wallpaper, glued the chairs to the wall along with the clock. He cut out four tables which we folded in half and glued together to make it 3D. He then used the George cartridge to cut out the shutters and a circle for the table top. He also cut out yellow squares to go behind the windows to make it look like light was coming through the windows (his words).


The reason the combined project was called "Noun Town" is because Jacob had to label every noun on the outside and inside of the project. He called out the nouns while I typed them. Then we glued them on the project.

I think he did a really good job on his project with a little help from Mom and Dad. His teacher did say that it was okay for parents to HELP. Jacob has always questioned why I love to scrapbook and make cards so much - now that he's used my machine and it made his project so much easier to make, he loves it too. But still not as much as me - HA!!

Well, I know this was a lengthy post but while we were making the bank, Jacob asked me, "Mom, are you going to put my project on your blog?" When I told him, "Well, of course!" he had the biggest grin on his face and said, "I'm going to be famous!" He's a hoot!!

Well, thanks for stopping by and we hope you'll come again!! Until another day, God Bless You!! Donna

Great Job, Jacob.  You've always been famous to me.  Mamaw!!!!

5 comments:

  1. What a great job Jacob! I know your Mom, Dad and grandmother are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    What a sweet story and what a great job Jacob did.
    He is now officially famous in my eyes! (Way to Go)
    Hugs
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob's bank is fantastic and I LOVE the monster truck in the drive-through. Too cute! Thanks for sharing his project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an awesome job, Jacob, Mom and Dad! TFS

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and visits. I hope you will come back soon.

Peggy T.

Cricut Top 40