Is there anyone out there that's addicted to Pinterest??? YES, I've got my hand raised, so don't feel ashamed. If I get on the site, I can't seem to get off! Mom will send me a Skype message sometimes telling me to get off Pinterest so I can make something to post on the blog. The idea/instructions for this post were taken off Pinterest! I've been wanting to make this project for a while but just didn't take the time to do it.
First - how many of you shop at the $1 Bins at Michael's? Well, it's a favorite place for Mom and me to spend (a lot of) money and believe me - those $1 items add up. These bins have LOTS of beautiful card packs for $1. I recently bought several sets and decided to use some of them on this project.
I went to Home Depot and bought 4" x 4" white tiles for 16 cents each. I had already bought Mod Podge at Michael's with a 40% off coupon and a spray can of Sealant at Hobby Lobby with another 40% off coupon. I already had felt furniture dots to use on the bottom of the tiles so they won't scratch the furniture.
I used two cards that I cut in half and then cut into 4" x 4" size.
I applied a thin coat of Mod Podge to the top of the tile and the 4" x 4" square. I placed it on top of the tile and used a bone folder to take across the top of the tile to press out any air bubbles that may be present.
Let that dry and then apply a thin coat on top of the cardbase on the tile.
Let that dry and repeat.
Once the tiles are dry, take them outside (because you're not supposed to use the sealant indoors) and spray the tiles with the sealant. Let dry, Repeat.
After you bring them back indoors, put felt furniture dots on the bottom of the tiles so they don't scratch the furniture.
While the tiles were drying, I decided to make a box for the coasters. I took a 12 x 12 piece of paper and scored it at 4 1/4" going both ways on the paper.
To strengthen the bottom of the box, I used an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of heavy cardstock, and cut 4 - 4 x 4 squares, glued them together, and then put them in the bottom of the box.
For the lid, I found a box on Silhouette Online Store and sized the top to 7" x 7" to fit my box bottom. I wanted a box that had an opening cut so that the tiles would show through.
I found some red wired ribbon and tied a bow around the box. I cut a Valentine tag (Silhouette Online Store) and tied it around the ribbon around the package. I paired the coasters with a mouse pad to match the coasters - also bought from the $1 bins at Michael's. This is proof that you don't have to spend a lot of a money on a gift. You can make something that looks a lot more expensive for not a lot of money at all.
I gave Jean her gift today because we are expecting snow here this week and I didn't know if I would see her on Friday. SHE LOVED IT!!!!
I must say, the project was SO EASY!! I'm amazed at how easy it was and how GREAT they look! If you try this, please send us pictures of your coasters. Believe me, it's easy.
Thanks so much for stopping by - we appreciate your visits and your comments. Please come back tomorrow - I made another set of coasters for mom and my Aunt Nellie using different cards and they are REALLY pretty too. They loved them too!!! Until another day, God Bless You!! Donna
· All Crafts Challenge - 2M, 1st Monday of the month every other month, NO CARDS - (February/March) Anything but a Card
· Artistic Inspirations - W, E3 - Anything Goes / Valentine's Day
· Craft-Dee BowZ - M, E3, project must have bow - (February) Anything Goes with a HANDMADE BOW
· Crafting from the Heart - 2W, E3 - (Week 2) Anything Goes / Use Red
· · Love to Create - W, 3E - Red and/or Pink
· Make it Monday - W, papercrafts only - Always Anything Goes
· My Craft Creations - 2W, Challenge links on top, occasionally SIR - (Week 2) Always Anything Goes
· Ooh La La Creations - 2W, SIO - (Week 2) Use a Heart
· Scrapbook Stamp Society Challenge Blog - 2W, 3E - (Week 2) Anything goes + Option: Use a Heart on your Card
· Through the Purple Haze - W, E3, C10 - Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create - W - Challenge #58 Anything Goes w/Optional Twist: Create your own Challenge. ·
· Challenges 4 Everybody - M, 3E - (2nd Week) Challenge #38 Anything Goes.
· Dream Valley Challenges - 2W, 3E - (1st week) Challenge #75 Tag You're It.